Today’s recipe is sweet rather than savory. Kashata are popular during the holidays throughout East Africa. Make some as a sweet treat to end a meal this weekend.
2/3 c sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 c grated coconut or 1/2 lb unsalted peanuts, finely chopped
1. In a heavy skillet, heat the sugar until it melts (10-15 min), stirring constantly. The sugar will become dark brown and syrupy as it melts.
2. Add the cinnamon and the coconut or peanuts.
3. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the sugar turns light brown.
4. Remove from heat and let cool.
5. When mix is cool enough to handle, form 1-inch balls and place on wax paper until set.
Makes about 20 balls.
Recipe adapted from ‘Cooking the East African Way‘ by Bertha Vinig Montgomery and Constance Nabwire