Tanda Tula Field Camp is an exclusive-use, non-permanent, explorer-styled tented camp located in a private concession in the eastern region of the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve. The emphasis is on walking safaris, tracking big game on foot, guided by the industry’s leading field guides and trackers.
The atmosphere of the camp is that of a bygone era. The camp’s philosophy and practices are similar to those of the early explorer camps of Africa. Tanda Tula Field Camp is exclusively set up and taken down for each safari and the locations will vary throughout the year depending on the seasons and game activities.
The camp style draws on traditions of the classic east African safari with beautifully detailed campaign-style furniture. The camp is designed for absolute minimal environmental impact. The field camp guests are hosted by a carefully selected, handpicked team that includes a personal guide, tracker, chef and general camp staff.
Tanda Tula Field Camp consists of four custom-designed tents and a communal mess tent / lounge accommodating a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 8 guests. The tents are charmingly appointed each with two ‘military-styled’ campaign beds, luggage racks and packing trunks. Each tent has its own open air bathroom with a hot water bucket shower and eco-loo as well as the necessary luxury amenities. Each of these features add to the adventure of what is the field camp experience.
Tanda Tula Field Camp is the only camp of its kind in South Africa! It is tailored toward the adventurous and perfect for families with teenagers.
Here are 10 QUOTES from a family that recently visited:
WHAT THE TEENAGE BOYS RAVED ABOUT:
1. That the camp had been set-up for us alone, had zero impact on the environment and it was removed when we left.
2. Guide was amazing and really engaging; kept asking us questions and keeping us busy. It was real learning and more engaging than other safaris we have done.
3. The walking was quite on edge and loads more exciting as we saw big game on foot – elephants, rhino, buffalo and lion.
4. Lying on a mat at night and learning about the stars.
5. Cool doing things with mom and she was better at some things than we were!
WHAT THE PARENTS VALUED:
1. Doing things together – the camp provided the perfect place to connect.
2. It was all ours, a totally private safari experience with no distractions.
3. Having to move the dinner table as the elephants came through the camp during main course.
4. Seeing my first shooting star while in the loo!
5. The authentic simplicity, this is what a safari is all about!
HIGHLIGHTS OF A VISIT TO TANDA TULA FIELD CAMP:
- ACCESS! With daily flights between Johannesburg, Cape Town (except Saturdays) and Hoedspruit, it is easier than ever to arrive in the Timbavati.
- Exceptional guides and trackers.
- Exhilarating big game walking safaris.
- Exclusive use in an expansive reserve.
- Explorer-style camping for the adventurous.