From seeing a three-day-old baby elephant stumble around to seeing two male lions get chased off by a herd of buffalo, this was the trip of a lifetime! With a safari this excellent, it was hard to narrow my favorite moments down to just five but here you go!
1. My favorite sighting of 2019 and the highlight of my trip to Kenya was seeing a baby elephant and watch it interact with its mother. This was so special – not only was the baby only three days old, but we were the only vehicle there. We had the opportunity to watch the baby elephant stumble around, still learning to use its legs and then take a nap. After the nap, the mom put her trunk under the baby’s backside and helped pull her to her feet.
2. Seeing a herd of buffalo chase away two male lions was also an amazing wildlife sighting – an experience directly out of National Geographic. Our guide knew how to search out wildlife without drawing a crowd, so like our baby elephant sighting we were once again the only vehicle there. There is something so special about seeing wildlife behaving naturally without other vehicles around.
3. As awe-inspiring as our game drives were, there is more to love on safari! While in Samburu National Reserve, we had a wonderful bush breakfast experience. Our guide took us on a nice morning game drive, and on our way back we turned a corner and voila! – a beautiful breakfast buffet with a private chef making omelets for us. Hands down, this was the best place I’ve ever eaten breakfast!
4. An amazing bonfire in the Masai Mara was another unforgettable safari experience. After a long afternoon game drive, we were surprised to find a beautiful bar and buffet set up for us in the middle of the bush. It was a bit chilly out, so the staff had started a huge bonfire to keep us warm. It was such a once-in-a lifetime experience to hear hyenas in the distance while being treated to the luxury of a warm appetizer along with a cool gin and tonic!
5. I began and ended my safari in Nairobi and I am so glad I did. I spent time at the Sheldrick Wildlife Trust and the Giraffe Centre. I especially loved getting up close and personal with the giraffes. They are such amazing creatures and I made a new friend quickly! It was also interesting to learn more about the conservation of giraffes at the Centre through their non-profit organization the African Fund for Endangered Wildlife.
Our passion for Africa began with a dream of living on the continent – a dream realized. We explored parks, rivers, mountains and villages, learned about the flora and fauna, fell in love with everything, and came away wanting to share our passion for a remarkable continent. Africa Adventure Consultants was born of the desire to give more people the chance to experience Africa’s wonders. Let us guide you into the wilderness.
Africa is enormous. There are endless things to see and do, and it can’t all be done in one trip. That said, we realize that many people believe that a trip to Africa is ‘once in a lifetime’ (though many more end up realizing once is not enough!). What do you most want to see? What experiences have you been dreaming of? Visit our destination pages to narrow your choices down, browse our safari types to get a sense of the activities and styles available, or talk with a Journey Specialist to hone in on the areas that will deliver the journey of your imagination.
We know it can be hard to narrow down what to do on vacation, especially with the wealth of choices that are available on the African continent. That’s why we have created an array of sample itineraries to inspire your travel. Browse through them – you’ll find everything from family safaris to honeymoons to Kilimanjaro climbs – and find the places and activities that excite you. From there, you can contact a Journey Specialist to start the process of crafting a customized safari just for you!